[Meta] Standard packages?

Avi Bryant avi at dabbledb.com
Mon Jul 23 06:42:09 UTC 2007

On 7/22/07, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, I agree that it would be difficult to determine. That's why I suggested
> to get back to the basic ST-80 features (but with the bug fixes (etc) that
> Squeak today encompasses.)

But an image - any image - necessarily goes beyond "basic ST-80
features".  An image tends to include a UI, but should this be MVC,
Morphic, or Tweak?  With what fonts?  With what icons, color themes,
etc?  An image tends to include dev tools, but should these be based
on Browser or OmniBrowser?  An image has a metaclass hierarchy, but
based around Behavior or Trait?

The set of necessary things for an image does include some contentious
areas.  However, I think Andreas is right that there are some areas
that are (I believe) much less contentious, like the Collection and
Number hierarchies, as well as (mostly) Stream, Exception, Socket,
etc.  These aren't enough by themselves to make a full image, so we'll
never agree on a "base image" to build everything else from.  But it
does seem reasonable (both socially and technically) to jointly manage
improvements to these standard packages, across the many forks and
versions of Squeak.  I'd certainly love to see this happen.

Avi