$100 laptop production begins - targeting October 2007

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Jul 23 15:14:30 UTC 2007

On Jul 23, 2007, at 16:50 , Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> Le Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:33:20 +0200, Klaus D. Witzel a écrit:
>
>> BBC has the news @
>>
>> - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6908946.stm
>>
>> Interestingly (and no surprise :) "There's still some software to
>> write"
>
> As a high school math teacher and part time programmer I contacted
> olpc
> team to see if there were any interst on interactive geometry. From
> the
> mostly empty feedback I got I can only conlcude there are no
> interest in
> this particular field, although interactive geometry is part of the
> constructivist paradigm through micro-world implementation.
>
> Now I see there are interest around writing specific games for
> OLPC, kind
> of behaviourist stuff...
> The project claims to be an educative project and not a laptop one,
> but it
> really looks like a geeks driven project without much knowledge about
> education, teaching, ICT in education and scientific
> experimentation in
> teaching system.

OLPC itself is only working on the base system and core activities.
But anyone can create software for it. They will also host the
project for you if needed. There is a page on the wiki where you can
register your activity bundle, this page is linked from the laptop,
it takes only one click to install. So everybody can easily provide
software for the OLPC machine. And I posted an outline how to write
an OLPC activity in Squeak, as you know.

OLPC is only a handful of people. Don't expect them to do everything.
Do it yourself.

- Bert -