[Meta] Standard packages?

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 18:36:33 UTC 2007

+1 (except I think traits are more like a protocol of what messages a class supports in tangible class form instead of only convention.  I expect the meta classes are still based on Behavior, no?)> Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 23:42:09 -0700> From: avi at dabbledb.com> To: bradallenfuller at yahoo.com; squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> Subject: Re: [Meta] Standard packages?> > On 7/22/07, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at yahoo.com> wrote:> > > Yes, I agree that it would be difficult to determine. That's why I suggested> > to get back to the basic ST-80 features (but with the bug fixes (etc) that> > Squeak today encompasses.)> > But an image - any image - necessarily goes beyond "basic ST-80> features".  An image tends to include a UI, but should this be MVC,> Morphic, or Tweak?  With what fonts?  With what icons, color themes,> etc?  An image tends to include dev tools, but should these be based> on Browser or OmniBrowser?  An image has a metaclass hierarchy, but> based around Behavior or Trait?> > The set of necessary things for an image does include some contentious> areas.  However, I think Andreas is right that there are some areas> that are (I believe) much less contentious, like the Collection and> Number hierarchies, as well as (mostly) Stream, Exception, Socket,> etc.  These aren't enough by themselves to make a full image, so we'll> never agree on a "base image" to build everything else from.  But it> does seem reasonable (both socially and technically) to jointly manage> improvements to these standard packages, across the many forks and> versions of Squeak.  I'd certainly love to see this happen.> > Avi>