Image freezing problem

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Jul 26 18:25:17 UTC 2007

On Jul 26, 2007, at 10:06 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> c) Tune the GC policies as they are far from optimal for today's
> systems (as John has suggested a couple of times). It seems,
> though, that this cannot guarantee to fix the problem but it should
> make it less likely to happen(?).
> I also took GC statistics while running the process (only part of
> it and not when it was stuck):
> - http://www.netstyle.ch/dropbox/gcStats-1.txt.gz: standard
> configuration (was very slow)
> - http://www.netstyle.ch/dropbox/gcStats-2.txt.gz: runActive with
> setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit: 16*1026*1024

I'll note the standard VMMaker has a bug in it for setting the
setGCBiasToGrow logic.
You must load the

JMM-fixBiasToGrow.1.cs

change set which is found in the Mac OS/ vm/specialChangeSets/
directory in the SVN tree
Without the change set this logic will not work properly.

Plus of course you have to do
Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrow: 1.

in order to turn the feature on, setting just the
setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit: won't turn it on.

===