Linux install - dumb questions

Shawn Hansen shawn.hansen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 00:35:17 UTC 2007

On 7/26/07, Germán Arduino <garduino at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I've wroted a brief instructions about installing on Ubuntu, but are in
> Spanish, may be with some automatic translator are understandables.
>
> See:
> http://germanarduino.blogspot.com/2006/10/instalacin-de-squeak-en-ubuntu.html
>
> Cheers.
>
> 26 Jul 2007 21:15:04 +0200, Lex Spoon <lex at lexspoon.org >:
> >
> > "Bill Schwab" <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu > writes:
> > > I am not in any rush.  This is all part of a gradual move away from
> > > dependence on Windows.  Whether or not I exercise the resulting
> > options
> > > is a separate line of thought.  For now, I am simply doing my homework
> >
> > > with Linux (typing this into Firefox on Ubuntu) and Smalltalks
> > thereon.
> >
> > If you are on Ubuntu, then you should use the pre-built Debian packages.
> >
> >   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3616
> >
> > I have not tried them on Ubuntu, but I would think they would work.
> > If the binaries do not, then surely you can rebuild them from source.
> >

> > -Lex

 I use squeak on ubuntu (feisty fawn).  Squeak is available via Synaptic in
the administration menu.  This will install the squeak vm and a 3.8 image,
which you can update, or just grab a fresh image.

Shawn

--
Shawn Hansen

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.  It is the
argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt (1759-1806)