Package Universes and Squeakmap

Damien Cassou damien.cassou at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 06:34:06 UTC 2007

2007/7/26, Keith Hodges <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>:
> One of the positive things about SqueakMap is that it caches the
> packages, it also has more information on it than the universe. I think
> that it too would benefit from some feedback features, and more
> openness, and some indication of dependencies, but perhaps it makes
> sense not to have these as hard and fast rules. For example, Seaside
> specifies Kom, but some users may prefer Swazoo. This flexibility seems
> difficult to support prescriptively on the macro level, but could be
> supported in local mini/sub-universes, such as a "Swazoo users seaside
> universe".

This is already supported by Universe but I don't know if it works:

Seaside
  requires: WebServer

Swazoo
  provides: WebServer

Kom
  provides: WebServer

The 2 fields exists but I do not know if they are used by the system or not.

> This means that you have to manually inform the Monticello Browser of
> the required repository before a monticello package with dependencies
> referred to in a package universe will work. For example when Chris
> posted  'Magma Server' he would have had the Monticello Browser properly
> configured on posting the package to the Universe and it will work for
> him but it will not work for users out of the box who do not have the
> Monticello repositories configured.
>
> So thinking about it this it would not be a problem at all if Package
> Universes replaced:
>
>     http://www.squeaksource.com/Magma/MagmaServerLoader-cmm.25.mcz
>
> with:
>
>     Installer squeaksource project: 'MagmaTester'; install:
> 'MagmaServerLoader-cmm.25'.

I don't think Universe should follow Monticello dependencies. The
developer must put everything to the Universe and it should work. Have
a look at OmniBrowser, Nile, Magritte... in the universe.

--
Damien Cassou