Wired

Chris Cunnington cunnington at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 2 18:26:08 UTC 2007

Maybe somebody has already posted this, but if not here it is.

http://blog.wired.com/geekdad/2007/06/just_squeaking_.html

We have a blurb on the Wired website. Scratch led to Squeak. Somewhere right
now people are discovering Seaside, Croquet and the OLPC (for the second
time).

When the Dev team completes 3.10, I'll push to have a press release written,
and then petition members of this community to en mass summit the story to
Slashdot.

I would add to this plan a trick from NASA. Yesterday was the opening of a
90-day window of no-news. If you are a media outlet, the summer is the dead
zone. NASA knows this and every year ensures that stories come out in the
summer. This translates to a higher profile, which ensures budgets from the
American Congress. They know what they are doing over there at NASA.

My point is, if the release of 3.10 could come out during this window, and
not in the Fall, we have a better chance of getting Slashdoted.

Steve Jobs:

What is this? This is like doing business with a praying mantis. You get
seduced, and then eaten alive afterwards?

Bill Gates:

Get real, would ya? You and I are both like guys who had this rich neighbor
- Xerox - who left the door open all the time. And you go sneakin' in to
steal a TV set. Only when you get there, you realize that I got there first.
I got the loot, Steve! And you're yellin'? "That's not fair. I wanted to try
to steal it first." You're too late.

"Pirates of Silicon Valley" 1999 (TV)

Squeak is no longer too late.

Chris Cunnington