New Win32 VM [m17n testers needed]

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jun 3 17:38:06 UTC 2007

> I'm interested in reports, both good and bad about whether the
> clipboard, file, directory and input support behaves as expected.

After installing the various fixes and picking fonts, I was able to
enter Cyrillic text through the keyboard, using a Greek environment,
on a German Windows XP.

What I couldn't get working is the listing of file names in the
file browser. To reproduce, create file names using Greek, Cyrillic,
and Chinese letters, and then do "open/file list". With the wrong font,
I get question marks. When I select a font that ought to be able to
represent it correctly, I still get a mix of Latin letters and
square boxes.

What I don't understand is: Why do I have to set the language
environment (*) to make it work? It's Unicode, so Squeak
shouldn't care what the language is. If it needs to know, it
should get the language from the system.

Regards,
Martin

(*) As instructed, I did
Locale currentPlatform: (Locale localeID: (LocaleID isoString: 'el')).