New Win32 VM [m17n testers needed]

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jun 3 18:38:58 UTC 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> What I couldn't get working is the listing of file names in the
> file browser. To reproduce, create file names using Greek, Cyrillic,
> and Chinese letters, and then do "open/file list". With the wrong font,
> I get question marks. When I select a font that ought to be able to
> represent it correctly, I still get a mix of Latin letters and
> square boxes.

Digging in the code it seems that the conversion of file names is broken
(or at least it seems that way). I can't seem to find the place where a
UTF8TextConverter would ever be used (which of course is a requirement
for this to work). It seems that the code still assumes that the VMs
present file names encoded in the corresponding code pages (which also
explains why you'd need to set the language environment etc). The thing
to try would be to go into LanguageEnvironment class and change
defaultFileNameConverter to include:

   "Windows VMs always use UTF8-encoded file names now"
   Smalltalk platformName = 'Win32'
     ifTrue:[^UTF8TextConverter new].

Cheers,
   - Andreas