New Win32 VM [m17n testers needed]

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jun 3 21:32:55 UTC 2007

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>> Hm ... there isn't any easy way to test this I guess?
>
> It's actually very easy.
>
> 1. Create a text file.
> 2. rename it to some Cyrillic (or Japanese, or whatever) name
> 3. Open it in the listing
>
> To rename it, the easiest way is to start up charmap.exe,
> select a few "funny" characters, copy them to the clipboard,
> and past them in explorer into the file name.

Ah great. Indeed, there is a series of steps you need to take to make it
work:
1) You need to fix LanguageEnvironment class defaultFileNameConverter
   (make it return UTF8TextConverter new)
2) You need to load a TTF font with the glyphs. For this you need:
    * Load the TTF loading fixes that Christos posted
    * Drag and drop a TTF font with the right glyphs on Squeak (Arial
works fine)
3) Make this font the default font for text and lists.

Once you got all of this the file list shows the correct names.

Cheers,
   - Andreas