New Win32 VM [m17n testers needed]

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Jun 4 14:40:23 UTC 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 15:48 , subbukk wrote:

> On Monday 04 June 2007 4:28 pm, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>>> .. filename encoding
>>> depends on
>>> filesystem, not the VM platform. For instance, I could have a UTF-8
>>> file on a
>>> USB flash and use it across different VMs...
>> Wrong. This solely defines what encoding is used to communicate
>> between the image and the VM. The VM then translates this to whatever
>> encoding the file system uses.
> I presume, this double conversion is transparent to code in the
> image. The
> code assumes that if the VM is win32, then UTF-8 is supported in
> filenames
> instead of querying the VM for a UTF-8 capability. This breaks
> encapsulation.

Right - see the thread the VM dev list. It would be great if we could
get those queries into the 3.10 VMs.

> In Tim's words :
>
> On Tuesday 15 May 2007 12:46 am, tim Rowledge wrote:
>> .. Allowing #fileNamed: to
>> attempt to parse mangled platform related strings was a serious
>> error. Platform fiddle-faddle for filenames is just horrific.

Fully agreed. It's just so much easier to do everything in the image
that many people prefer that way. Moving all the logic into the VM is
a lot harder. For example, most, if not all of the m17n code in 3.8
was done without VM modification. And it's still far from flawless -
so once the VMs do have better support we should indeed refactor.

- Bert -