UTF8 Squeak (was Re: New Win32 VM [m17n testers needed])

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jun 7 19:12:08 UTC 2007

Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:
>   It might be just a matter of self-defence, but I still think that
> the way we did it (i.e., not change the VM first, and rely on the
> image level conversion) was the right thing.

Completely agree. With 20/20 hindsight it's easy to say that this should
use UTF-8; back then things weren't quite as clearly cut (for a time,
going "all out UTF-16" in the VM was definitely an option, as seen in
the 2.x WCE VMs). Having these conversions in the image was a very
useful strategy to cope with the reality of encodings out there. OTOH,
it's about time we tie up a few of the loose ends and make them a little
more consistent.

Cheers,
   - Andreas