Image as a database (was Re: UTF8 Squeak)

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 20:04:49 UTC 2007

> I admit that I came from VW where I'm running quite a number of web apps
> on images which servers also as a sole database and that just works,
> reliable and fast.
>
> Now I'm thinking to do the same in Squeak. That is, to use squeak image
> as a database, fast and reliable. Am I too naive?

A lot of people are doing that with Squeak as well. For example all my
Pier instances are using the image as a database. It is (was) the same
for SmallWiki.

It is certainly fast. The reliability depends on the VM you are using.
Some VMs are known to crash if they have been started with the wrong
parameters or if they grow over a certain amount of memory.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch