UTF8 Squeak

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Mon Jun 11 18:45:49 UTC 2007

  Hi, Michael,

> >   - Suppose you would like to use different line wrapping algorithms
> >     for different languages, how would you keep that information?
>
> The question is which, if any, language dependent (text layout?!)
> attributes should be encoded into the String rather than kept as text
> attributes.

  Exactly.  I put my proposal for "a new system" in several emails
ago.  In there, raw data cannot really be displayed without the text
attributes.

  The question was that it was practical to retrofit that idea into
the Squeak system, where gross assumptions was made around Strings
(including being able to a symbol, being able to displayed, etc.)  If
you would like to display any given String in a reasonable way in
Squeak, you needed to have it there with a String.

-- Yoshiki