Unicode strings, benchmarks

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Tue Jun 12 23:58:32 UTC 2007

  Janko,

> Here is a proof that Unicode is definitively possible in Squeak. I put
> on a same web page some English, French, Slovenian, Russian and Chinese:
>
> 	http://mivsek.eranova.si:8888/
>
> This is done by help of Aida/Web on Squeak 3.9. This image has Unicode
> patch installed but it would probably work the same on plan 3.9	too.

  This could be a hunch and could be completely wrong, but have you
tried to *use* Slovenian in Squeak, in the sense that type in from
keyboard, display in workspace, and use it in class names/variable
names, etc.?

  To try it, take the OLPC image for example, gunzip the attached
latin2.out, and evaluate the following in a workspace:

StrikeFontSet installExternalFontFileName6: 'latin2.out' encoding: Latin2Environment leadingChar encodingName: #Latin2 textStyleName: #DefaultMultiStyle.

  And then, evaluate:

    Locale currentPlatform: (Locale localeID: (LocaleID isoString: 'sl')).

and save the image.  If you are on Windows, this would let you type
latin2 characters, display them, and use it everywhere in the image...