UTF8 Squeak

Masashi UMEZAWA masashi.umezawa at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 01:26:42 UTC 2007

Hi Janko,

> >> 1. internally everything is in 16bit Unicode, without any additionally
> >>     encoding info attached to strings
> >
> >   If they use 16-bit per char, how do they deal with surrogated pairs?
>
> I looked once again and there is actually a FourByteString too. This
> probably answer your question. VW also support Japanese locale well.

Just for correction. VW does not support "surrogate pairs" well. A
Character whose value is greater than 65535 would easily crash the
image. This is a quote of Character comment.
--
For character codes between 0 and 65535 (16rFFFF), the Unicode
Character Code Standard is used.  Characters with codes between 0 and

In VW, Japanese string is represented as TwoByteString. So, it cannot
handle a part of Japanese characters. (But practically, in most cases,
it is enough. And it is also good for reducing memory consumption).

Regards,
--
[:masashi | ^umezawa]