Fishing for a CS Masters Thesis Topic

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Wed Jun 13 19:40:44 UTC 2007

Under languages:

A new kernel for Squeak, based only on Traits (no inheritance).

Why?

1. Writing a kernel for Squeak should be challenging and a little
mindbending.

2. I am quite sure that it is possible to create something easier to
understand than the current kernel, which uses both inheritance and traits.

3. Seems quite likely to me that it would allow to simplify other parts
of the system, because if done right it would allow to have a variety of
things that are somewhat similar to classes without duplication of code.
For example, a representation of a version of a class that is not
currently loaded (useful for versioning systems) has some of the
functionality of a class (same state), but lacks other functionality
(cannot create instances).

Daniel