[ANN] AIDA/Web app server 5.4 beta released on Squeak

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Wed Jun 13 21:18:46 UTC 2007

Bonjour Cédrick,

Cédrick Béler wrote:

> Nice to see your work on squeak... I just had a quick look on the
> website and I don't realy get the specificities of this framework
> compared to existing ones...

Thank you! About comparison to Seaside I gave a presentation on ESUG,
which you can find it here: http://www.aidaweb.si/articles.html

> Can you give us more information on AIDA especially compared to seaside
> and also hv2
> (http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2007-April/115664.html)
> Are seaside and AIDA framework at the same level ?

I would say yes.

> or what AIDA is better for ? In which case would you consider using AIDA
> or seaside or HV2?

Well, that obviously hard question for me but let me just state, where
Aida is obviously better:

- navigation with RESTfull urls, fully automatic url management, you
just point to some domain object to get its url.
- pure and consistent following of web philosophy
- strict MVC separation of domain model from presentation
- scalability to cover increasing complexity of web apps/systems
- integrated security with user and group management
- Ajax support is fully integrated, to the point, that it is hardly
visible and is therefore a natural extension of existing functionality
to programmer

And I cannot compare it with HV2 because I have just to little knowledge
about it. Maybe a bit later when we'll try to connect HV2 to Swazoo.

So far I also didn't encounter any problem which wasn't be solvable on
Aida, back button one included, therefore I can't answer to last part of
your question.

> Is it efficient to deal with static web pages ?

Yes, it has integrated support for serving static pages. So far I didn't
have a need to put static web serving to a separate web server because
of speed, therefore it seems efficient. It even had a support for
templating, but this is currently unmaintained, because nobody use it
anymore.

> I've seen that prototype and scriptaculous are integrated, do you use
> the existing packages on squeaksource ?

No, Aida has its own and completely integrated Ajax support with help of
native Prototype and Scriptaculous libraries. Their JavaScript code is
put in plain Smalltalk methods (so called method resources).

> Thanks for your response and your work ;) It's always interesting to see
> alternatives...

Thank you. I hope you get some answers to your questions.

Cordialement
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek