1944 methods

subbukk subbukk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 05:32:36 UTC 2007

On Thursday 14 June 2007 1:31 am, Pavel Krivanek wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have played with a very simple, extremely slow but powerful shrinking
> method: - take some very small image
> - create a task you want to do, for example some basic script like
>
> (FileStream forceNewFileNamed: 'out.txt') nextPutAll: (Compiler
> evaluate: '3+4') asString; close.
> SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true andQuit: false.
Very nice work, Pavel.

If there is a way for the image to return a boolean or byte value to the VM
when shutting down, then we could use code like :

 Smalltalk current snapshot: true andReturn: (Compiler evaluate: '3+4=7').

to shrink the image to its essentials. File I/O could be factored out of the
basic methods.

Regards .. Subbu