1944 methods

Pavel Krivanek squeak1 at continentalbrno.cz
Thu Jun 14 06:51:01 UTC 2007

On 6/14/07, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

> Hi Pavel--
>
> > ...create a control image (with OSProcess) that takes the small image
> > and starts to remove method by method and tests if the resultant image
> > is not broken and returns correct outputs ;-)
>
>      Why not just keep track of all the methods that get used by the
> virtual machine by the task, and throw away all the rest of them with
> the garbage collector? I did this for 3+4 and got an image that was
> 1,337 bytes[1].
>
> > Maybe it opens the new interesting way how to continue with the
> > license change. Only very few people can help with the license audit
> > but all have computers and somebody may have access to powerful
> > clusters.
> >
> > If the output conditions will be: "file-in the removed code back and
> > perform basic tests", we may get relatively small set of methods for
> > the license conversion. So we can have small MIT kernel and the rest
> > of "non-free" Squeak code can be downloaded and loaded  manually by
> > users.
>
>      Sure, this has been the plan with Spoon, and we can do it with a
> single modest machine.
>
>      Is there some reason why you're reinventing here? I've been
> mentioning Spoon progress and releases here the whole time I've been
> working on it.
>
>      curious,

I know the VM monitoring - with no doubt it's much more elegant way.
This way I considered to be more useful in case you want to
automatically load the removed methods again. Last but not least I
simply wanted to try that :-)  I don't want to create an alternative
to Spoon, I want to help with the packaging effort to adopt Spoon in
future as the Squeak kernel.

Cheers,
-- Pavel