[ANN] AIDA/Web app server 5.4 beta released on Squeak

Cédrick Béler cbeler at enit.fr
Thu Jun 14 09:39:21 UTC 2007

> Bonjour Cédrick,

Bonjour Janko :)

>> Nice to see your work on squeak... I just had a quick look on the
>> website and I don't realy get the specificities of this framework
>> compared to existing ones...
>
> Thank you! About comparison to Seaside I gave a presentation on ESUG,
> which you can find it here: http://www.aidaweb.si/articles.html
oops, I missed it...
It's really a good introduction and positioning ...
After a first overview, I'd say that that AIDA philosophy is closer to
php for instance. At least, it should be easier to get along with when
coming from traditional web dev framework...

>> or what AIDA is better for ? In which case would you consider using
>> AIDA or seaside or HV2?
>
> Well, that obviously hard question for me but let me just state, where
> Aida is obviously better:
>
> - navigation with RESTfull urls, fully automatic url management, you
> just point to some domain object to get its url.
> - pure and consistent following of web philosophy
> - strict MVC separation of domain model from presentation
> - scalability to cover increasing complexity of web apps/systems
> - integrated security with user and group management
> - Ajax support is fully integrated, to the point, that it is hardly
> visible and is therefore a natural extension of existing functionality
> to programmer

Ok
I forgot to ask you about what seaside is better for ;)

but the last slides of the ESUG presentation is explaining a bit... I
copy them below...

AIDA
Pros
- Every domain object has persistent Url
- Automatic crosslinking of pages
- REST principle fully supported
Cons
- GOTO like programming for more complex apps
- control flow not shown in one place
- Back button not fully supported

SEASIDE
Pros
- Flow control in one place
- Easy “subroutine pages” with results returned
- Back button supported (really needed?)
Cons
- Not much OO, more procedural programming
- Url’s not RESTlike
- Crosslinking
- pages difficult

I don't want to say one framework is better than the other... just find
interesting to compare both approaches... so as to better understand
them and web dev in general. I'll find some spare time to test AIDA on
squeak soon...

>> Is it efficient to deal with static web pages ?
>
> Yes, it has integrated support for serving static pages. So far I
> didn't have a need to put static web serving to a separate web server
> because of speed, therefore it seems efficient. It even had a support
> for templating, but this is currently unmaintained, because nobody use
> it anymore.
I also saw the benchmark page
http://www.aidaweb.si/aidaweb-benchmarks.html
but of course for visualwork right now...
>> Thanks for your response and your work ;) It's always interesting to
>> see alternatives...
>
> Thank you. I hope you get some answers to your questions.
Absolutly...
Merci beaucoup :)

Cédrick