[ANN] AIDA/Web app server 5.4 beta released on Squeak

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Jun 14 17:03:34 UTC 2007

Cédrick, just an answer to the last part for now:

Cédrick Béler wrote:

> yes but there are always people who ask for REST...  so there is an
> alternative now (in squeak) and I'm sure it can bring people to seaside
> either once you're familiar with smalltalk syntax... and maybe for web
> site not highly dynamic, AIDA seems to me a good option...
> to sum up my feelings:
> complex web application -> seaside
> dynamic site -> AIDA

Aida is definitively able to deal with complex app development as good
as Seaside if not even better. That's not only my observation anymore,
that's a feeling and also an experience of others too, who already tried
both.

What I usually say is that Seaside is good for 1% of web app when Aida
is good for 99% of the rest of that app, while with a little more effort
it can make that 1% too. And I'm talking here about complex web apps!

Seaside is designed from start for that 1% but web reality is that you
need to support other 99% well too and here it seems that Seaside is not
able to follow, probably because of design which lies on continuations
too much.

Best regards
Janko

--