[Q, OT] Evaluating Software Engineer

Robert Stehwien rstehwien at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 14:58:19 UTC 2007

Sungjin Chun,

> Thank you. Even though I'm not evaluating programmers for new employment
> - - I'm trying to prepare evaluation of our programmers for suggesting
> what/where/which direction should they make more effort to improve.

I agree with Sebastian that abstraction skills are essential.  I've
seen a lack of ability to create abstractions become the downfall of
many potential developers.

Here is an article and a couple of books I found useful for the
improvement of developers:
Teach Yourself Programming in 10 years
http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html

"Software Craftsmanship: The New Imperative" by Pete McBreen
http://www.mcbreen.ab.ca/SoftwareCraftsmanship/

"The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master" by Andrew Hunt
and David Thomas
http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ppbook/index.shtml

--Robert