Release Meta-problems (repository woes)

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 22:04:20 UTC 2007

Release Meta-problems (repository woes)

Hi all,

This is from some private correspondence with Edgar.
I thought that this part of the response needed to be
brought to the attention of those responsible for this
and future releases.

A good place to follow the public thread from which
this correspondence started is:
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/v3dot10/2007-June/000636.html

> > I don't understand this. How is the "sandbox"
> involved
> > in this problem? I.E. The problem of the wrong
> file
> > ending up in the 310 working directory.

> But I can't delete wrong files in 310 repository.
> Ralph tell he can't delete
> besides he have privileges to do.

So you have the power to mess things up without the
power to set things right.
That is a high order bug.
It needs to be remedied here and it needs to be noted
so future release teams don't have the same problem.

I can also see it comes from not having a proper back
up stream for the repository. It should be possible to
"turn-back-the-clock" and deal with the state of the
world before problems were generated.

Can anyone comment on what the situation is with the
release repositories and their backups (or lack there
of)

Note sent to squeakdev with copies to v3dot10 and Edgar