Specifications for the sound recorder program & a low memory image for a Mac, a long request...

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Jun 18 17:35:16 UTC 2007

Ah, I should ask is this a 68K powerbook duo?

Really one should consider upgrading your hardware, although laptops
are more expensive, you can I believe find G3 or G4 based desktop
machines for  I'd think < 25 pounds, or nearly free since these
machines are 10 years old, hint worthless in the eyes of the public.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh

I'd suggest looking in second hand stores, salvation army, thrift
stores, computer stores, etc for oh say an 8600, extra ram again
likely a 5 pound cost, and a monitor,  pick your size, varies I think
from free to a few 10 of pounds, I've seen plenty disgarded because
of people switching to LCD screens, you'll likely need a VGA adaptor
plug to use a PC based monitor.

With only 4MB you are hard pressed to have any type of performance
since the 2.8 or 3.x series of images were 8-9MB in size.

I did build a MVC VM for Dan in 2001  (3.0alpha9MT) which fit in 1MB
of memory using an image he made that was a 588Kb Squeak 2.2. image
of sept 23rd, 1998.
If you want these please let me know.  Lastly I think for 68K the
last VM might be a 3.0.21 flavour, we transitioned in that time
period from a classic powerpc/68k VM to carbon based powerpc/68K VMs
to Mach-o non CFM os-x only VMs.

On Jun 18, 2007, at 6:07 AM, Russell N Hyer wrote:

>  I am almost forced to do my work on my PowerBook Duo with 4MB of RAM.
> Because of this requirement, I am looking for a pre-shrunken image
> with that application in to tinker with. Because of the age of the Mac
> I am looking for an adequate squeak app to interpret it from (needn't
> be the latest) - but even though the new squeak VMs support ancient
> Mac too (I've run it on 7.6, my Duo runs Mac 7.1 and has large (or is
> that: low) memory problems (=4MB).

===