Specifications for the sound recorder program & a low memory image for a Mac, a long request...

Tim Johnson trilobyte at hoe.nu
Thu Jun 21 02:33:09 UTC 2007

On Jun 18, 2007, at 9:07 AM, Russell N Hyer wrote:

> I have a desire to learn about the inner workings of the sound
> recorder program that lives inside a squeak image. However, owing to
> rot and poor maintenance of my ancient collection of Apple Macs, I am
> almost forced to do my work on my PowerBook Duo with 4MB of RAM.
> Because of this requirement, I am looking for a pre-shrunken image
> with that application in to tinker with. Because of the age of the Mac
> I am looking for an adequate squeak app to interpret it from (needn't
> be the latest) - but even though the new squeak VMs support ancient
> Mac too (I've run it on 7.6, my Duo runs Mac 7.1 and has large (or is
> that: low) memory problems (=4MB).

I have run Squeak versions 1.1 through 2.x on a Powerbook Duo 280 and
can tell you that it is very, very slow.  Mine currently has 40MB of
RAM, but even screen redraw is pretty annoying.  It is better when it
is docked and I can run in 256 colors or Thousands of colors, but on
the built-in display (grayscale or B&W) the machine just crawls.
Even typing text takes caution, as each character I type shows up on
screen slower than a 300 baud modem.

If warnings like these still don't dissuade you, I would recommend
using the version 1.31 image & VM.  I was running System 7.5.5 with
all patches.  (Come to think of it, I don't know if 1.31 has any
decent sound support...  I can't remember)

(Also, I got the 36MB memory module for the Duo on eBay for very,
very cheap.  You may want to look into that, though if you are not in
the United States you might have to pay large shipping fees.)

Cheers,
Tim