On UUID's and MC file names

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Jun 24 02:23:29 UTC 2007

Well to clarify. In Sophie we have a SophieID which is used identify
objects. This just happens to be a sub class of UUID.
But I decided at the beginning I wanted a separate class SophieID in
case we wanted to migrate from UUIDs

*Most* objects in Sophie are subclassed off of SophieObject which may
contain a SophieID instance.
Certainly if the Object is serialized for XML storage they get a
SophieID. Other objects referring to an object then
at serialization time get a SophieID  reference value which later
when the XML is read is used to hook the reference value
upto the actual object.   Fortunetly at this time we do not have
cases of forward referencing when the book is read.

On Jun 23, 2007, at 4:13 PM, Jerome Peace wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> Sort of more info than I wanted to know.
> I just want to look at something and not be mystified
> by it. So it seems if I have a sophie id string I
> could turn it into a uuid. If can do that then I could
> create the association uuid->string put it in a
> dictionary and then on looking a the same uuid look it
> up.
>
> So if I kept a list of all strings I might want to
> look up that would work. Sometimes sort of.
>
> Or I could just get used to being mytified (Nah.
> Where's the fun in that?)
>
> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace

===