Q] Any AS 400 Squeak experience ?

Davide Grandi Davide.Grandi at mclink.it
Sun Jun 24 10:37:03 UTC 2007

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:46:15 -0700, Edgar J. De Cleene
> <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>
> > El 6/23/07 3:24 PM, "Blake" <blake at kingdomrpg.com> escribió:
> >
> >> Not personally, but both of my parents. I might be able to
> lure my dad
> >> into a project, tho'.
> >
> > If have any details, as what VM, I appreciate
>
> Oh, I see. That's a long shot but I'll ask.

Squeak on the AS/400 ? Very intriguing !
AFAIK there were only a Visualage Smalltalk edition (4.5) running on the PASE environment (an AIX-like hole drilled in OS/400 down to the MI, if my memory holds). Back in 2000-2001.

You could run Squeak on a Linux "partition" of the OS/400, headless (unless you start also the X server) : you need a standard linux 64 distribution running on a Power kernel (Suse, Red hat, et al.). I run a Jxxx app. server 5 years ago and ran it exactly as I did on a pc-based environment.

Running it on the OS/400 side could lead to some interesting integration with the OS/400 db (tables, schemas and other db "objects" are first class OS object).

I wander if someone ran Squak on the other IBM "big Iron", the /390 aka zSeries (or in his software emulator Hercules).

Let us know about the '400.

Best regards,

    Davide
--