Q] Any AS 400 Squeak experience ?

Davide Grandi davide.grandi at mclink.it
Mon Jun 25 19:24:03 UTC 2007

Germán Arduino ha scritto:
> Hi Guys:
>
> I'm exactly now working to an american company in a mainframe project
> and setting up an Hercules emulation environment (with the authorized
> IBM SOs that may run under Hercules) and, as a Squeaker, I'm wondering
> if Squeak may run in a Linux running under a mainframe operating
> system running under Hercules.
>
> Of course, could be nice see Squeak running natively in such "big
> iron's" !!
>
> May be I could have time and hopefully my employer get interested in
> Squeak to try somethings.
>
> At last, want to comment: Hercules emulator is really fantastic, I've
> a mainframe running in my Linux box!
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Germán S. Arduino
> http://www.arsol.biz
> http://www.arsol.net
>

> 2007/6/24, Davide Grandi <Davide.Grandi at mclink.it
> <mailto:Davide.Grandi at mclink.it>>:
>
>     > On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 16:46:15 -0700, Edgar J. De Cleene
>     > <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar <mailto:edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar>>
>     wrote:
>     >
>     > > El 6/23/07 3:24 PM, "Blake" < blake at kingdomrpg.com
>     <mailto:blake at kingdomrpg.com>> escribió:
>     > >
>     > >> Not personally, but both of my parents. I might be able to
>     > lure my dad
>     > >> into a project, tho'.
>     > >
>     > > If have any details, as what VM, I appreciate
>     >
>     > Oh, I see. That's a long shot but I'll ask.
>
>     Squeak on the AS/400 ? Very intriguing !
>     AFAIK there were only a Visualage Smalltalk edition (4.5) running
>     on the PASE environment (an AIX-like hole drilled in OS/400 down
>     to the MI, if my memory holds). Back in 2000-2001.
>
>     You could run Squeak on a Linux "partition" of the OS/400,
>     headless (unless you start also the X server) : you need a
>     standard linux 64 distribution running on a Power kernel (Suse,
>     Red hat, et al.). I run a Jxxx app. server 5 years ago and ran it
>     exactly as I did on a pc-based environment.
>
>     Running it on the OS/400 side could lead to some interesting
>     integration with the OS/400 db (tables, schemas and other db
>     "objects" are first class OS object).
>
>     I wander if someone ran Squak on the other IBM "big Iron", the
>     /390 aka zSeries (or in his software emulator Hercules).
>
>     Let us know about the '400.
>
>     Best regards,
>
>         Davide
>     --
>     Ing. Davide Grandi
>     davide.grandi at mclink.it <mailto:davide.grandi at mclink.it>
>     www.davidegrandi.net <http://www.davidegrandi.net>

Last year I've worked on the port of a COBOL account package from
VSE-VSAM-3270 to zLinux-db2-XHTML and ... "Guess who ?" the "same" Linux
port that I ran years ago on AS/400 also ran on zLinux (apart from being
compiled for anothe processor and being at two major relase after).
The 2 smart guys of that Genoa's bank I worked with, ran succesfully
either VSE ether zLinux on hercules (being zLinux emulated under
hercules a litlte bit sluggish ), so if you find how to compile Squeak
on a linux 64 ...

Best regards,

    Davide
--