Squeak to/from UTF-8 conversions

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jun 26 18:22:19 UTC 2007

nicolas cellier wrote:
> However, if you strip the language tag, you will run into very minor
> bugs with the A macron and a macron, because their encodings have been
> hijacked as CrossedX and EndOfRun in the CharacterScanner family (clever
> trick when Characters were 256). I searched how these damned characters
> could ever work in Squeak and Sophie, and found black magic was this
> language tag.

Ah, how interesting. I wasn't even aware of that but it makes good
sense. Which, in a sense, only emphasizes question 2) below given that
the default Latin-1 environment doesn't seem to set a language code
whatsoever.

> Andreas, maybe you could have a look at how RTF text are converted in
> SOphie, it seems to deal with language tag correctly, at least with
> extended latin characters.

Good point. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to get into Sophie in
detail (I was just trying to understand why UTF-8 conversion is lossy
and what to do about it) but if someone would give me a primer on how
Sophie deals with these issues I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
   - Andreas