Paying for projects

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 28 17:39:59 UTC 2007

Two reasons:1) I don't want to spam everyone with the details.  Most people that would be interested would just want "X project complete and here's what it does"2) I don't want input about the value of the project from people who have no intention of doing the work or paying to get work done.  If you think my project ideas are crap, fine, but I don't want my list to get weighted down with that kind of stuff.  I am making things I want to use, if no one else in the world would want it, that's fine.Thanks,Jason> Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 09:37:05 +0200> From: damien.cassou at gmail.com> To: squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> Subject: Re: Paying for projects> > Hi,> > I think it's a good idea. Your project list might be of interest for> everyone, so why not sending it to the main mailing list?> > Bye> > 2007/6/27, J J <azreal1977 at hotmail.com>:> >> >  Hi all,> >> > As you have probably seen, I see a lot of things I want to see done in> > Smalltalk, but I don't have time to do any of it.  My "eyes are bigger then> > my stomach" as it were.  So it occurred to me today that a possible solution> > to this problem would be to simply pay to have some of the work done.> >> > So to that end, I would like anyone who would be interested to let me know.> > I will set up a mailing list for any people would want to be take (or give)> > projects.  I will suggest my project on the list, you can answer me> > privately (or publicly) with your bids.  I will select someone, and publicly> > announce that it has been filled.  After that it depends; we can talk> > publicly over the list, or use an intermediate like rentacoder [1] to ensure> > that both sides are safe.  That is, I don't want to pay if I can't use the> > finished product, nor do I want the person doing the work to fear that they> > may get nothing for it.> >> > We can negotiate the different things, time frames, price, features.  I> > mostly only be doing smallish projects.  The payouts would probably be on> > the order of $50 - $100 USD but the projects should be small (and often) as> > well.  And if this catches on, there could be much bigger projects or people> > may chip in to sweeten some of the more interesting pots.> >> > Some people have expressed concerns about bounties in the past that people> > might have their feelings hurt if they don't get picked.  So I would just> > like to point out, this has nothing to do with the board or anything else.> > This is just something I wanted to do.  I will choose the person the same> > way any worker is chosen for a given, i.e. the best> > fit/price/availability/reputation.> >> > The payout will work in the same way it's done on rentacoder:  We have a bid> > off for who will do the job, negotiate the parameters and pick the best> > overall fit, then you do the work, then when it's finished if I accept you> > are paid.  If I don't accept you can try to bring it up to spec, decide to> > give up, or ask for an arbitration if you think you have met requirements.> > In the case of the rentacoder site, the payment money is deposited as soon> > as I accept a bidder so no one can "take their ball and go home".> >> > I'm a big experimenter so many of the projects may be that you get paid and> > then never hear anything more (because I decide I don't want to go that way> > after all).  But hopefully the money can soften that blow a little. :)> >> > And lastly, I know Squeak is largely a gift community, and I don't want to> > upset that.  I think it is good that people give things to the community> > (and I will most likely release everything I pay for).  I don't want to> > create a situation where everyone expects to be paid for everything.  This> > is simply a case that I have not managed to get anyone interested in my> > ideas by talking, I can't realize them myself (this decade anyway), so my> > last option is to pay.> >> > Thanks,> > Jason> >> > [1]  The advantage of using rentacoder as an intermediate is that it's> > established, and everyone will see the projects so it will be more smalltalk> > exposure.> >> > ________________________________> > Live Earth is coming.  Learn more about the hottest summer event - only on> > MSN. Check it out!> >> >> >> > > -- > Damien Cassou>