Parsing Smalltalk with SmaCC

Chris Cunningham cunningham.cb at gmail.com
Fri Jun 29 16:14:40 UTC 2007

On 6/29/07, Ralph Johnson <johnson at cs.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> SquekMap and Package Universe differ in at least two ways.
> SM ought to be changed to do the same, and if it
> doesn't change then in my opinion it is likely to be abandoned.

That would really be a shame.  As you stated, SM is a nice index to a vast
wealth of Squeak code and projects over the years, many of which are not in
a Universe today (and probably never will be).  It would be a shame to loose
visibility to those projects.  SM also has a nice cache of some (most? all?)
of those packages, so as the original storage places for those packages rot
or dissappear, we can still benefit from them.

If everyone started saving all work in Monticello and saved it to
SqueakSource - or some other authoritative place - AND there were motivated
people to convert all the old (usually very interesting and sometimes
useful) code from SM into Montecello, then there might be some justification
to removing SM.  I just don't see that happening.

-ChrisC