Java's modules rock? (was Re: election details *PLEASE READ*)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Mar 1 10:41:31 UTC 2007

giorgioferraris at elevensoft.it wrote:
> VW allow parcel to modify a method already on the image. Interesting behavior is the fact that, if and when you remove the parcel (thing you can do on a running application) the modification goes away, and the old behavior get restored.

That's what I expected.

> This seems to me more on the Smalltalk stile of thinking: I can do what I want, obviously also shut at my foot.

Well, that's great as long as it is *your* foot. Unfortunately, when
modifying a base class that other modules use you are not shooting your
own foot - you are shooting the *other* guys foot (since your module
will work happily with those modifications but the other modules won't)
and that's not okay for a module system.

Cheers,
   - Andreas