SystemDictionary>>abandonSources bug and misc. deployment problems.

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Mar 5 10:01:44 UTC 2007

Tomi Neste wrote:
> 1) When doing 'Smalltalk abandonSources', right after "Saving temp names
> for better decompilation..." is finished the VM crashes with a "Squeak
> fatal error" dialog.

That is most unexpected. Can you repeat the problem? If so, please let
me know which VM version you are using so I can try to recreate it.

> 3) QuitDialogMessage and QuitDialogLabel options in the ini file don't
> seem to have any effect.

Looks like your VM might be to old. You might want to try 3.9.2 from
http://www.squeakvm.org/win32/release

> Since I'm not using the Squeak UI in the app I'd like to have a way to
> just:
>
> a) Completely hide the squeak window, the headless option still leaves
> an icon in the toolbar. I guess I could do it with a simple C program
> that launches the VM with appropriate flags.

There is currently no option that *completely* hides Squeak except if
you run it as a service.

> b) Display a nice logo or something in a 'hardened' squeak window while
> the program is running. Maybe also add some gui controls for setting
> application preferences etc. It would make things a bit simpler if the
> user couldn't resize the squeak window, I guess there is no way to
> prevent that?

Recompile the VM and change the window attributes. That would be my
answer (and it's not too hard - download the build tools, install them,
download the source release, recompile, go).

Cheers,
   - Andreas