Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Thu Mar 8 14:59:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-03-08 at 01:23 -0800, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Well, I don't really see how the board could vote on this - if the board
> is a representative of the community then it's the community who votes
> on it. And if the community wants "more of the same" it can certainly
> say so (and, not surprisingly, has in this election). It would be
> difficult to make arbitrary decisions like requiring that there must be
> a certain amount of turnaround each year - as long as people have fun
> they should be allowed to run, and if they get elected, they get elected!

I completely agree with Andreas here.  We are better off simply giving
the community the flexibility during the election process to pick its
preferred mix of old and new blood rather than to dictate for once and
evermore some exact percentage that must be elected each year.  The
community can decide that based on the performance of the board and on
the set of candidates.  What happens if there is a smaller number of new
candidates than the dictated percentage of new members?

I too would personally have preferred some new blood on the board.  Not
that I'm particularly dissatisfied with the recent performance of the
board, but I just like to get the opportunity to see new viewpoints.
However I'm comfortable with the process that was used and so I'm also
comfortable and happy with the result.  By having annual elections no
matter what happens we have the opportunity to make changes in short
order.

Also, I expect in time many of the longer serving members will get tired
of serving or drift to other interests and make room for new members.

Ken