Squeak on PDAs (was Re: questions)

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Thu Mar 8 20:04:57 UTC 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Michael Linderman wrote:

> How can I develop applications in Squeak for PalmPilot, Cell phones.

See http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/Handhelds for a sketchy overview of
handheld support.

Basically you download or build a VM for the platform/OS (or port as
necessary; it doesn't take much), and then run it with the Squeak
image you use elsewhere. There are suitably-small versions of Squeak
images that you can find with a little searching, but KernelImage is
an easy place to start these days; see:
  http://www.comtalk.net/Squeak/98

Anything you can run in Squeak on a desktop computer or laptop can
run on a PDA or smartphone, although the graphics will be slower and
memory requirements are tighter.

PalmOS is not supported by Squeak that I recall since the memory
model involves small databases which interferes with Squeak garbage
collection / memory management. Newer (ARM-based) versions of PalmOS
may have removed this requirement, but no one's cared enough to
investigate.

Ultimately, though, Squeak is an open-source project without specific
funding for creating a PDA-oriented IDE, so don't expect a ready-made
solution.

--
-Brian
http://briantrice.com