Squeak Foundation Board 2007 Election Results

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Thu Mar 8 21:16:40 UTC 2007

> Any board can make life difficult for a particular member, this is a
> fact of life, but they should not then get to decide whether to accept
> a replacement based on whether they like the next guy or not.

     I prefer to use the next-ranked candidate because (s)he is
next-ranked; it has nothing to do with any other figure of merit, only
with the will of the voters. I do think that such a policy would tend to
get more newcomers into the board (since incumbents seem to get higher
rankings), the fact that the next-ranked person in this election would
be new is not what motivated my suggestion.

> ...such decisions should be made either by a third party (like
> elections or squeak-dev) or preferably by following a fixed policy
> (such as "quits not replaced, majority quits means new elections").

     Right; I'm proposing a fixed policy: replace with the next-ranked
people willing to serve until you fill the board. I prefer this over not
 filling the vacancy (like last year) because it could help to get new
people into the board.

     thanks again,

-C

--