Backward compatibility (was Re: The Weekly Juan #9: "An update on Morphic 3.0")

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 9 16:15:06 UTC 2007

Anyone know of any research being done in the arena of smalltalk backward
compatibility?  I was thinking about this today, and it strikes me that
perhaps since smalltalk has a live image we have some options "the cult of
the dead" don't have regarding backward compatibility [1].

For example, maybe with every package we could include (or have generated if
possible) all the things we obsoleted and what the correct call is now.  So
when the updated package is loaded into an image, in the simple case client
code is simply updated with the new API and in the more complex case a
pop-up could appear showing the now obsolete calls and suggestions of the
usage now.

We can do optimizations with the packaging system like; if you do an install
then the backward compatibility info is dropped since it isn't needed.  But
the package manager is asked to "upgrade" then it had to do a scan since the
obsolete package was previously in the image.

[1] Well, the would have the options, but not in the clean reflective way
smalltalk does.  It would have to be a nasty file scanning hack type thing
or perhaps something with Eclipse (which would basically be a nasty file
scanning hack :)