Maintainiable Squeak VM ports (was Re: Squeak on Handhelds (Update))

Brad Fuller brad at bradfuller.com
Sun Mar 11 07:17:00 UTC 2007

tim Rowledge wrote:

> On 10-Mar-07, at 6:47 PM, Brian Rice wrote:
>

>> - Is there a guide for how to do this?
>
> You could try:-
> http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/OE-Tour.html for some general VM
> stuff relating to Squeak
> http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2105 et al. for specific VMMaker stuff
>
> In general if you download the svn tree, load up VMMaker *from
> SqueakMap* and follow platform instructions you ought to be able to
> build a working vm. It is, after all, what 'us professionals' do. Add a
> new branch to the platforms tree, next to RiscOS/Mac/Win32/unix and
> maybe add a new subclass to VMMaker if you need to do things differently
> wrt code generation. Once you have it working, feel free to submit it to
> me for inclusion in the main VMMaker package. Until that point you can
> work as publically or as secretly as you wish.

Brian,

It's pretty easy to do and figure out, and there is _some_ documentation
(that is written well) to help you (let me know if you need links). I
suggest you get the svn and build a current VM to get your feet wet.
Once you build and it really does work, you'll pretty much understand
the workflow. Then, you could split off a branch for your own work.

--
brad fuller
www.bradfuller.com