Alternative directory/file classes?

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Mar 11 08:17:49 UTC 2007

Hi -

Recently I got (once again ;-) horribly disgusted by the mess in the
current file/directory classes in Squeak and started looking for
alternatives. Besides Flow (which I knew about but which is a bit too
far-reaching for what I'm after) I was particularly impressed by looking
at FileMan which seemed a nice and simple interface to do all the
practical things that you need when dealing with files/directories. A
couple of questions related to it:
1) Is anyone using FileMan in production environments? How does it hold
up in practice?
2) I presume FileMan still requires FileDirectory and friends in all
their splendid uglyness. Has anyone looked at making FileMan the only
interface to access directories?
3) Are there any other directory/file interfaces I should be looking at
in my quest for a bit more cleanliness in these areas?

Cheers,
   - Andreas