Squeak on Handhelds (Update)

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Sun Mar 11 08:55:26 UTC 2007

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:26:44 -0800, Aaron Reichow <revaaron at bitquabit.com>
wrote:

> I'm curious what kind of work you're doing on the N800 with Seaside...
> Specifically, what kind of impressions you have of using an app in that
> sort of situation.
>
> I suspect I'm a bit of an oddity- I can whip up a simple Morphic app in
> Squeak at a speed that isn't far off of a newbie VB programmer- fast,
> though not lightning.  It's a shame more folks don't grok Morphic. Not
> to dis your work, my point is simply that for me, using any web app
> framework- even Seaside- would take more longer to whip up some
> prototype.  I'm very curious about what kind of apps you're creating and
> what kind of experience you've had so far...

Forms. Lots and lots of forms.

I don't prefer it, but it gets around a lot of other problems. Seaside is
actually rather simple, easier than morphic (as it should be, given its
limitations), and I don't have to worry about building the C/S part, nor
do I need to be overly concerned if the N800 is not my final device (as I
suspect it won't be).

My plan, once I've gotten my basic framework down, was to move
bits-and-pieces to be native on the N800, and (with luck) exploit the
handwriting recognition in Genie (as you mentioned in January).

I'd actually enjoy doing the Nokia VM (C and I are old enemies, and I've
had fun with VMs a lot in the past), but I don't know if it's realistic.
(Otherwise I would've jumped in here sooner.) If I can manage to work it
in as part of the project I'm doing, it gets more realistic (as I'd be
getting paid for it :-)).

	===Blake===