Squeak MIDI output with Linux / ALSA

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Sun Mar 11 23:35:12 UTC 2007

Stéphane Rollandin wrote:
> Florian Hars wrote:
>> I spent the sunday reading some ALSA documentation and produced a
>> replacement for sqUnixMIDI.c (which I compiled into Squeak by hacking
>> the generated Makefiles, yuck), which compiles, and the three or so
>> functions Scratch uses actually do something useful (I ignored MIDI
>> input, the drumkit and other things). Maybe somebody with a better
>> (read: any) understanding of the  squeak internals can use this as a
>> basis to create something that actually works and is integrated into
>> the build environment.
>

> thanks for this work !
>
> I hope it will help ending this current sad situation where we have no
> MIDI support under Linux.
>

> Stef

Thanks Florian,
I'm really looking forward to ALSA midi working on Linux.

By the way, I also noticed that the audio latency when using ALSA audio
output is really high (about 1second or more on my machine). Does
anybody knows if there's a setting for buffer size?

c.

--
http://www.cesaremarilungo.com