Alternative directory/file classes?

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 13:12:27 UTC 2007

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Well, I wouldn't call it a refactoring - it's not meant to replace the
> "real" directory classes, is it?
Dear Bert,

it most definitely IS meant to replace the "real" directory classes. A
quote from the class comment:

    "A Rio is an experimental version of ruby's rio in smalltalk, so as
to compare with other     approaches such as Fileman, the intention
being to murder FileDirectory!"

If you layer a wrapper on top of FileDirectory you are building on a
base with lots of methods. If you begin from scratch, it turns out that
most of the interesting functionality is layered on top of one method.
(currently called #on:recusively:select:)

Rio, builds upon RioKernel (7.5k of source), rather than FileDirectory
(85k of source).

Unfortunately I do not have access to a windows machine at the moment so
I may need some help to make this fly.

Keith