OSProcess: making sure that a child process always dies

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Mar 15 07:48:34 UTC 2007

when I asked that question last fall, when I was trying to figure out
how the VM process forked by the browser plugin would terminate
if the browser crashed, someone mentioned.

		if (getppid() == 1)

if getppid returns 1, then the original parent process has gone
away.   I added this check to the VM when it knows it's running as a
subtask of the browser and as a chore we do every couple of seconds.

On Mar 15, 2007, at 12:15 AM, Joshua Gargus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to use OSProcess on OS X (or unix in general) to
> cause forked child processes to die when the parent Squeak process
> quits?
>
> Thanks,
> Josh

===