Contribution licensing

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Mar 19 10:33:08 UTC 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 10:58 , Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg schrieb:
>> On Mar 19, 2007, at 7:50 , Andreas Raab wrote:
>>> Brief Q: You didn't explicitly specify what license those changes
>>> are under. Would you be amendable to using MIT-style license for
>>> it? (it would allow me to use the code trivially in Croquet)
>> In case this hasn't been clear to everybody yet - we require MIT
>> licensing for anything that people might want to go into official
>> Squeak nowadays.
>
> So how do you deal with the requirement that the license is put in all
> copies?

We require a written note that allows us to use the contributions
under MIT. Since this is rather new we need to figure out the exact
details still, but there is a form you need to print out and sign and
send in.  I think Craig might know best.

MIT was chosen because it is compatible to basically everything.
Squeak 1.1 was relicensed by Apple under the Apache License 2.0 just
last year. With this Apache base and all the MIT contributions we
have a completely free system. And if there was a replacement for the
Squeak kernel down the road (Spoon, Pepsi, whatever) the MIT parts
can be moved over with ease. Also, the major new systems built on
Squeak (like Croquet, Tweak, Seaside, etc.) are MIT licensed.

- Bert -