[ANN] FileMan departs from FileDirectory

Pierce Ng pierce at netmemetic.com
Mon Mar 19 13:20:46 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 17, 2007 at 03:15:43PM +0100, stephane ducasse wrote:
> I thought that it wouldbe cool to use passport (in the chronos
> package) to have the same abstrctaion for files than VW.

There is also `sport', by Bruce Badger:

    Sport provides a consistent interface to things which are implemented
    differently in most Smalltalk dialects. Sport provides wrappers for
    Exceptions, Times & Dates, Files, Sockets and more.

    So far, Sport is implemented in VisualWorks, Gemstone, Squeak, Visual
    Age for Smalltalk and Dolphin Smalltalk X6.

I recall reading (on Usenet?) of an effort to port sport to Ambrai
Smalltalk.

I tried the Squeak version a while ago, but didn't get it to load cleanly.
(I forgot which versions.)