Contribution licensing

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Mar 19 20:09:29 UTC 2007

karl schrieb:
> Well it says:
> 'The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included
> in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.'
>
> So it should be enough to have one license in the image ?

Not sure. You certainly need to include the individual copyright
notices (*), just including one copy of the permission should be
enough.

> Maybe all packages/modules should be dependent on a License module ?
> Patches and bugfixes, I don't know, depends on how substantial they are ?
>
> Licenses are a source of endless discussions :-)

I read the book of Larry Rosen, and his opinion is that software
engineers should stick to software. Licenses is the field of
lawyers. So if in doubt, ask the foundation's lawyer, and he
will tell you what to do (although you may need to learn how to
ask a lawyer first :-)

Regards,
Martin

(*) E.g.
Copyright (c) 2007 Martin v. Löwis
in the patch that triggered this discussion.