Contribution licensing

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at tx.technion.ac.il
Fri Mar 23 15:02:31 UTC 2007

Craig Latta wrote:
[snip]
>  What we're trying to do
> here is establish appropriately permissive license terms for what we had
> up to this point. After that, under those permissive terms, any entity
> (such as the Squeak Foundation) is at liberty to take that body of code
> and make releases under the terms they prefer (subject to the modest
> requirements of the MIT license cited in the agreement).

Is there any code that has been included in the current Squeak releases
(or otherwise contributed) after the effective dates of their contributors?
>      Going forward, I advocate requiring an explicit licensing statement
> from each contributor for each future contribution, and that the terms
> be those of the MIT license. It won't be hard, and, let's face it, if we
> did otherwise we would continue to chew up large amounts of time
> discussing licensing.

Sounds good to me. Is this the opening shot of a(nother) squeak-dev
"what will we do with future licenses" debate on the topic, or will the
board decide this issue? Actually, I think the position you advocate has
been consensus for quite a while, but maybe I'm wrong.
>> If they are moot, I would be grateful for an explanation.
>>

>      They're not moot, and I hope I've given a thorough and clear
> explanation all the same. (Please accept my apologies if it was *too*
> thorough :).

Your answer was clear, and quite informative. Would you Curious that you
should choose a style of communication which induces you to apologize in
advance :)

Daniel