Alternative directory/file classes?

Keith Hodges keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 03:26:26 UTC 2007

Damien Cassou wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> are you modifying ReadStream and WriteStream ?

Hi Damien,

In principle I am not aiming to modify the Stream classes at all. Rio
handles the File Reference side of things and this is theoretically
orthogonal to the functionality of all of the streams.

I have made a couple of minor fixes, a couple of minor additions, and I
have added my generic aStream copyTo: bStream, and also a
#copyTo:withProgress: version.

Where FileStream's keep a reference to their File, accessible via #name,
I have managed to arrange it so that you can transparently pass aRio
into the streams name field. (i.e. open: aRio forWrite: bool works)

In many places the Streams themselves use FileDirectory. Fortunately I
have succeeded in writing Rio to use the streams avoiding any of these
methods. This means that I have not had to port any of these
FileDirectory dependent methods into Rio equivalents. this means that
FileDirectory and Rio can happily co-exist since Rio is replacing
FileDirectory without stepping on any place that uses it.

When FileDirectory is eventually removed many of these Stream methods
may also be removed because their functionality will have been
refactored elsewhere into Rio. Those methods cannot have been
fundamental to the operations of streams, if they were then I would have
had to use them. So I do look forward to being able to eliminate some
redundant stuff from Streams when the time comes, but for now, I am
leaving well alone.

best regards

Keith