Fastest way to mock up web UI?

J J azreal1977 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 29 07:26:11 UTC 2007

>From: Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
>To: The general-purpose Squeak developers
>Subject: Re: Fastest way to mock up web UI?
>Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:12:22 -0700
>
>Seaside on the other hand, seems much more complex in its control flow
>(even trying to follow the store example quickly gets you into call/cc and
>at that point all bets are off).

As others have mentioned, the store example is probably not a good if you
are looking for how to make a quick site simply.  The store example is
showing all the advanced features of the framework.

>Oh, and what are the prospects for RESTful urls in Seaside these days? Last
>time I asked about it there wasn't really a good answer - is there one
>these days? I'm not really into the whole auto-magic URLs myself; I'd
>rather have it say http://foo.bar.com/users/andreas if I want to refer to a
>user page.

Well, Seaside is really a component based application concept.  It makes, as
Ramon mentioned, web programming more like regular GUI programming.  In a
regular app you click the icon and start doing things from the begining.
There are no URL entry points.  In Seaside instead of clicking an icon you
go to a URL to start the "application".

The "magic" part of the URL are just two variables and if you don't want to
see it you can tell Seaside to use cookies instead.

If you want RESTful urls then I would suggest taking a look at Pier.  You
can do RESTful urls in base Seaside but you have to do it all yourself.
Pier on the other hand is already set up this way.  Another nice thing about
Pier is that you don't have to build "Pier" components if you don't need
them, you can embed normal Seaside components as well.

Using Pier might seem like a lot of things to load for a quick mock up, but
for me at least, it was the quickest way to build my website.  It isn't hard
to install either if you use the new Universe.  I think you could also use
the Pier package from SqueakMap (don't remember if it works out the
dependancies, but "Pier security" does for sure).